Hotmail is the first webmail service provider that came into existence. Before that, people used an ISP (Internet Service Provider) to gain access to their mail account. Before Hotmail was announced, the working was a bit tedious which required transferring messages in a local reader to access them. However, after Hotmail came into existence, the entire process was simplified. Such processes include sign in/ log in, sign up/ creating a new account, reading emails and accessing inbox. Hotmail allowed users to access their mail from anywhere in the world with diverse devices supporting a lot of different languages.
Evolution of Hotmail
Hotmail was founded by Sabeer Bhatia and Jack Smith back in 1996. The new webmail service soon became a hit and almost every person with an email account had a handle on Hotmail. In 1997, Microsoft purchased Hotmail and named it MSN Hotmail where MSN refers to the Microsoft Network. Later in 2006, directors of Microsoft suggested a new label for the service and changed it from MSN Hotmail to Windows Live Hotmail. Series of changed names left the users utterly confused. Thus, some of its user bases started diverting to Yahoo! Mail and Gmail. After so many ups and downs, Hotmail stood for its brand and made its presence throughout the world.
Finally, in 2012, Windows Live service was shut down and an entirely new platform was launched named ‘Outlook’. Outlook earned the respect of professionals and won many prestigious awards. The performance ‘Outlook’ delivers is way ahead than any other previous platforms. Outlook has added security features, improved safety and safeguards the interests of users in every possible way along with providing a unified experience. Outlook is an ultimate service that Microsoft was trying to make available in the market for more than a decade.
Although, the same webmail service has been upgraded, updated, modified and completely changed more than a couple of times. The loyal Hotmail users have always been so supportive. Some people have an emotional tie with Hotmail as they have been using it for decades now. So, when the labels were changing, Microsoft always kept signature Hotmail in it to maintain the customer’s conviction and loyalty. Ultimately, Outlook was launched and people wanted to go back to having entree to their Hotmail accounts. So, the company decided to make all the previous domains active that could redirect the users to the currently active Outlook page. Those domains are live.mail.com, Hotmail.com, outlook.live.com. Also, users have access to their old Hotmail account from the outlook log in. They need to enter the same username and password as Hotmail to use their email account.
How to Create Hotmail Account?
Signing up anywhere on the internet is the same as creating an account for a specific service. Hotmail has been available for free and it still continues to be free of charge platform to sign up and access. You can sign up for a new account on Hotmail and you will have a lifetime access to that account for free. The signing up process on Hotmail is hassle-free, takes just a moment and is easy to understand by every frame of mind.
Following are the Steps to sign up for a new account on Hotmail:
- First of all, start with opening up any browser be it Mozilla Firefox, internet explorer, Chrome or any other. In the search box, type any of these addresses – mail.live.com, outlook.live.com, Hotmail.com. You will be redirected to a single outlook sign in page from any of those links.
- As soon as you reach the outlook sign in page, look for a tab saying ‘Create Free Account’ and click on it.
- On the next page, you will be asked to create a new email address. Click on the cursor symbol to roll the scroll bar down. Select your email address from the given domain options such as @outlook.com or @www.hotmail.com. Both options will give you the same accessibility over all the services offered.
- While writing a new email address, a message may pop up as this email address has already been taken or it’s in use. You will be provided with a list of suggested email addresses related to your preference. If you like any of the suggestions, you can use them as your new email address.
- When you are done with creating a unique email address. Next page lets you set up a new password for your account. Key in the password that you think cannot be forgotten but is still resilient enough to keep hackers away. Your password should be minimum eight letters long. A strong password is the one that has a mix of uppercase letters as well as lower case letter or we can say it should be a case-sensitive password with use of numbers and special characters.
- After setting up the email address and password, click next.
- The next page that appears is a sign-up form for Hotmail, which is used by the Microsoft to collect all the personal information of a user.
- Enter the first name and the last name in the field correctly and click next.
- Now you need to enter the location specifics with a country, region options. Choose the appropriate country and region from the drop-down menu. Also, choose the date, month and year from the drop-down menu and feed in your birth date. After selecting all the correct information, click next to move on.
- Next thing you see may seem slight extraordinary to you if this is your first email account sign up. A code will come up on the screen named CAPTCHA code. This code has a series of jumbled alphabets and numbers that are arranged randomly on the screen and can also be overlapped. CAPTCHA code is used to identify and make sure that the person creating a new account is not a robot or an AI but is an authentic person signing up. Enter the letters and numbers as it is in the identical arrangement as they appear and click next.
- Next step takes you to the welcome page of Outlook. This page lets you take a glimpse at your newly created mailbox. Click on the arrow you see on the side of the page.
- Clicking that arrow will take you to a page where a screen appears to select a language and preferred local time zone. Select the correct language and time zone from the drop down scroll menu. After selecting the correct information, click on the right arrow button to move to the next page.
- Next up is setting your theme for the mailbox and selecting other display options. There are over 50 different themes available to choose from. Choose the one that you like the most and click on the right arrow button to move ahead.
- Next step is optional but it enables security and provides more authentication to your mail account. This includes adding your signature to the mail account. This signature of yours will be added at the end of every email you sent. You may choose to ignore this step but it should be done to ensure safety.
This concludes your steps to create a new account and signing up for Hotmail. You will see a new Hotmail window now that has your inbox ready. You can also use all other services Microsoft offers such as Skype, Microsoft Office, One Drive, OneNote, Xbox etc.